Friday, January 24, 2014

Exploring the African Diaspora in Montenegro

MA History & Culture student Paula Royster recently returned from a Fulbright-funded trip to the Balkan state of Montenegro (formerly Yugoslavia). The following is a personal statement by Paula about her research and experiences at Union Institute & University.

“I trace the trade; that is the Slave Trade. My journeys have taken me across continents, through the epochs of time, often leaving me with more questions than answers. My most recent undertaking was in Montenegro. Before I began my Fulbright, I researched the nearly extinct history of enslaved Africans in the seaside town of Ulcinj (uhl-seen). Then, while fulfilling my assignment to discuss the 50th Anniversary of the Great March on Washington, the Sesquicentennial, the Civil Rights Movement, and the overall struggle for justice and equality in marginalized communities across America, I took some time to confirm the accuracy of my research.
What I discovered was nothing short of amazing. I found distinct West African influences dating back to the Turkish Ottoman Empire's rule, which contradicts other scholars who have presumed African influences were limited to those from North and East African slave populations. I was also able to speak with descendants of formerly enslaved Africans. The significance of this was not merely in speaking to a descendant of slaves, for I am one myself, but that one descendant in particular is only one generation removed from "the peculiar institution," and that was surreal. Moreover, she was able to answer my research question, which was to identify the name of the African ethnic group from which her father was abducted (Baggara in the Sudan).
The fieldwork I have conducted on the African Diaspora was born out of my interest in History and Culture and that makes for a happy marriage with my studies at Union Institute & University. My professors allowed me time away from studies to pursue my scholarly interests, which speaks volumes about their commitment to both the philosophy and pedagogy of experiential learning. I have every confidence that upon emergence from my scholarly life cycle at Union, I will be fit to forge new discussions that will lead to a better understanding of who we are as human beings, and the communal obligations we have, today, to achieve mutual respect and decency for the sake of future generations.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment